Don’t you think that it is so much embarrassing if you don’t have a good portable toilet for a good sanitation system while camping in the wild! Of course, you do. However, it is too much important to stay hygiene in outdoor camping and before that, if you are a newbie, we suggest you to read what to know before camping.
There are a lot of people who really bother about nature’s call in outdoor and this is why they just avoid this kind of trip but they are actually missing the fun and adventure and you may not want to be one of them.
So, let’s start with the toilet issue:
Nowadays portable toilet makes camping easy and more flexible but before choosing the best one, you must consider the below factors:
What to think before you buy a portable toilet!
Emptying the waste:
It may seem little difficult to clear the waste specifically when you are on a trip of picnic outside in the wild just because you would not like to through away the waste. However, some place will not permit you to dispose of the waste anywhere but there are some RV sites you will find belonging to this facility. So, it will be wise to check before you go, whether the place has this facility or not!
In that case, Biodegradable sacks usually contain a powder which turns the waste into solid as well as these can be buried in a countryside but make sure it is in a 6-inch hole and at least 100 yards away from the water source as well as the surroundings.
One more thing is that it is more preferable to disintegrating the toilet paper.
When it is a matter of toilet, it does not matter you are a man or woman. Yes, the toilet needs privacy. It may be difficult to find a place which is already decorated by nature for making toilet or if you are good enough for your creative sense, you can make a shelter for the toilet. However, you will find privacy shelter for toilet separately in the market.
Here, some but few complete toilet system like Cleanwaste go anywhere complete toilet will provide you the privacy shelter with the toilet system.
A capacity of toilet:
The capacity means the volume of the toilet can be flushed before waste disposal. When you are going to be determined about the capacity, be sure about the answer to the below questions:
+ How many members are going to use this toilet?
+ Duration of using this toilet during your trip?
+ Do you camp so often with large group or couple of members or single?
Now relate the answers with the volume, so that you can be determined of the capacity of your toilet system.
Many manufacturers describe the capacity as numbers of flushes per waste disposal in their features.
Ease of use:
When it is a matter of a portable toilet, it has to be easy to set up, clean, convenient for carrying and simple packed up.
+ Easy to set up means how quickly you can set it up as well as how simple the method is!
+ Convenient for carrying means how light it is to weigh. However, some are made with ABS plastic, which is extremely lightweight.
+ Easy to clean means how easy you can make it empty, I mean waste disposal.
+ Simple pack up means how easy you can pack it to your destination. The good news is some are coming up with the backpack which really makes the transport so comfortable.
Size of toilet:
The size is very important just because space is an important matter while you are carrying a lot of more essentials with you. There are a lot of sizes in different types of toilet available in the market. Choose the size which is not that bulky but meet your needs.
Types of portable toilet for camping
Categories really differ the facilities. You may want the best type but there is no specification regarding the type since it depends on how your needs meet the type.
So, let’s know the type:
Toilet with bag type:
This is the simplest type for a portable toilet. It comes up with a garbage bag for storing the waste as well as a bowl for sitting there and legs which can be folded.
– Simple and easy to dispose of the waste,
– Use of powder which turns the liquid waste into solid,
– You can disposal the waste so frequently,
– Legs can be folded,
– You will find some of them are sealed up with odor reduction process.
One of the most popular options for the camper is a self-contained toilet. It is more likely to an airplane toilet. These are good for a long trip to hold waste.
– Minimal odor,
– Easy transport,
– Self- contained,
– Uses chemical to break down the solids into liquids.
– Needs water supply.
People also say it a dry toilet. Yes, the name defines itself, it does not need water. However, it is environment-friendly.
– Self-contained and compact,
– Can reduce odor quickly,
– Does not need water,
– Solid and liquid waste can be separated,
– Little expensive,
– It Needs electric power or solar power.
How should you select the best camping toilet!
Selecting the best one is not that complex. First, identify your needs and make a list of them then go with the features. There is a lot of option is available for you but let us cooperate you to select the right one. The below points can help you to figure out:
- You need to think about the space, it is going to grab,
- Make sure the capacity is fine for your trip,
- Check the product ratings, product reviews, product features carefully
- Make sure the weight is manageable,
- Does your toilet has the benefit of deodorizer or the cleaning agent!
- Check, if there is any privacy shelter available for this product,
Now you can relate the above factors with your budget and go through the product. Since there is a lot of choices, there is a different price but more importantly, if any of those meets your demand, does really budget a matter!
What, if you do not have any camping portable toilet
Sometimes this may happen that you are in an emergency but someone else is using the toilet or you do not have this facility. What would you do! No worries, you have solution described below:
– Find a spot which is at least 200 feet away from your campsite as well as 200 feet away from any water source. For an example; if your campsite is 400 feet away from any lake or river, the middle between your site and water source can be a good spot. Remember, mark your place so that you can find easily for the next time.
– Try to select the spot where the soil is loose but rich. That will help you to dig as well as decompose the waste more quickly.
– Dig at least 6 to 8 inches deep and 4 inches wide and if it is the rocky condition, try to lift a rock for using that spot and replace it after your business or the waste can be carried by a disposal bag.
Things you need to carry:
– Camp trowel will help you to dig out.
The Solid waste bag can be needed if the place is highly sensitive and you are suggested to carry your waste by the authority. You can find simple blue bags or sealable plastic bag containing gel for absorption and they are leakproof.
– After the use of toilet paper through it to the hole but it is a good practice to keep it in a waste bag or you can use big leaf but make sure the leaf is smooth and not poisonous.
– Wash your hand with some sanitizer until you feel it is good enough.
Things to do after the job done:
– Fill the hole completely with the original dirt and tamp it down with your feet.
– Put a rock on branches of the tree on that so that no creatures can dig it again.
– Place an upright stick with a symbol to discourage others to dig here again.
So, this is how you can manage your emergency when someone else is using the toilet.
What to do, When it is pee time?
Choose a place which well away from your campsite as well as if you are in a group including the woman, you can separate the zone for man and woman.
– Never pee directly to a small water source, however, it has to be at least 200 feet away but if it is a big river or lake then you may pee there. The big amount of water can dilute it.
– Find a spot where it can be absorbed quickly. However, pay attention on which way the ground slopes as well as make sure your boot laces and pant are well out of that way.
– Bandana or toilet paper will be needed anytime. So that pack it in the outside pocket of your backpack.
– Woman’s pee funnel can come in handy in rainy or cold weather. You can use it by standing yourself but practice at home before you do so. Store the urine in a bottle or a plastic bag which can be disposed of after rain or if you are done at the night then in the morning but make sure the cap of that bottle is tight enough.
– When it is the matter of privacy, you can use a lightweight skirt around you or if there is someone to help you, ask him or her to do that as they can warn other hikers to not to come that way.
There I no alternative of staying hygiene in a campsite. Only the bathroom issue cannot be the only consideration. Let’s know what else matters to camp hygiene:
How will you stay hygiene while in a camping
- Brush your teeth every day. It is more effective to brush teeth before you go to sleep at night rather than brushing in the morning.
- Keep your feet clean and dry as much as you can just because there is a chance of developing athletes foot and painful blisters.
- Wash your hands with soap after every dirt full work as well as before cooking and eating anything.
- Clean dishes before cooking and after cooking.
- Keep your nails clean.
- Do not be late when nature is calling and you already know how to do that.
- It is important to wear a fresh dress every day.
- Keep your wet items like toothbrush and others separately and if you can make them air dry.
- Try to take bath responsibly especially when it is too hot.
- Eat fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Do not store food without refrigeration and this is why you will need to maintain an accurate meal plan.
- Personal belongings should not be shared with others.
- Take extra socks just because you will need to change those rapidly for keeping your feet dry.
- Do not eat anything from the forest without knowing about that as well as cleaning them.
- Keep your campsite and kitchen neat and clean.
- Always use a garbage bag to store the waste.
- Keep fresh water as much as you can. However, Do not cook with unboiled water or unpurified water.
So, these are the simplest way to stay hygiene and healthy while you are in a campsite. Follow the above and stay safe as well as wish you a great camping experience.